The CVA is once again assisting Chalkfest and artists to transform downtown Wausau with colorful pastel art drawings. This is the 13th year for this sidewalk art festival which is for artists of all ages and levels of ability to participate and for art enthusiasts to observe and enjoy.
• Free Sidewalk Drawing Clinic taught by Artist Mort McBain
• Learn techniques to use on your ChalkFest creation!
• Call CVA at 715-842-4545 to register
Saturday, July 15 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Check-in for participants will be from 8:00 - 11:00 p.m. on at the festival headquarters on The 400 Block. Organizers will provide you with registration materials and space assignment.
• Notified ChalkFest in advance to hold the space beyond that time, reserved spaces will be released to other artists at noon on Saturday
Sunday, July 16, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• Artists continue working on space.
• Participant judging 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
• ChalkFest reception and award ceremony begins at 4:00 pm in the CVA Main Art Gallery.
• Refreshment will be provided to the participants during the reception.
REGISTRATION: Cost to participate is $22. Each artist receives a box of 48 pastels and an assigned space. Pre-registration is required. Chalk spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis. No cancellations or refunds.
• SMALL (4’ x 4’ to 4’ x 6’)
• MEDIUM (5’ x 6’ to 6’ x 7’)
• LARGE (6’ x 7’ to 7’ x 9’)
Space sizes are determined by the sidewalk seams. There are 26 different sizes in various quantities. The spaces are shown with the ranges of size in each. The largest sizes spaces may contain one or more lines.
CHILDREN'S CHALKFEST SCHEDULE:
Saturday, July 15, 9am-5pm
Sunday, July 16, 10am-4pm
- Kids 11 and under can explore their artistic talents.
- A $3 material fee includes a box of chalk
- For $10 you get a set of 12 pastels and a sheet of paper you can take home
To participate and secure a space, fill out the registration online.
Participants are encouraged to pre-register to reserve a space by 5:00 p.m. on July 8, 2015. Spaces are limited.
• Assigned space
• Box of 48 pastels
• One set of latex gloves
• Sponge for blending
Additional supplies will be on sale at the event in limited quantities.
SMALL (Approximate size is 4’x4’) Recommended for youth 14 years and under
MEDIUM (Approximate size range is 5’x 6’)
LARGE (Approximate size range is 5’- 6’x8’ - 9’) Largest sizes may contain one or more lines.
• Wear a hat and sunblock to prevent sunburn.
• Knee pads are strongly recommended.
• Pastels will be provided in multi-colors so keep in mind if you are using a predominant color in your design you may need to purchase additional sticks in that color. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION:
1. Participants must be 12 years of age or older. Those 11 and under are encouraged to be a part of a group space or to join in the Children’s Chalkfest area and must be supervised by a parent/guardian.
2. Participants must stay within their assigned space to create their artwork, be it square, horizontal or vertical and move around without interfering with artist/space next to theirs. The whole space does not have to be used.
3. Due to these pre-set spaces and increase in participation, we cannot guarantee co-neighbor placement requests.
4. Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing: full nudes, advertising, business logos, or political statements will NOT be accepted.
5. NO OIL PASTELS, OIL PAINTS OR FIXATIVES ALLOWED.
6. Chalkfest reserves the right to limit the number of people working on any space, with exception of those who have registered for shared spaces.
7. Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the festival.
8. Chalkfest, Wausau Events, and the CVA may use photos or reproductions of artworks for future advertising and media purposes.
GENERAL SUGGESTIONS: Wear a hat and sun block to prevent sunburn. Knee pads are strongly recommended.
Pastels will be provided in multi-colors so keep in mind if you are using a predominant color in your design you may need to purchase additional sticks in that color. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible.
IN CASE OF RAIN: Clear plastic sheeting will be available, but distributed only under the direction of the committee on site. In case of severe weather, the festival will be cancelled. No refunds are available if event is cancelled.
EVENT LOCATION/DIRECTIONS: If you are coming from out of town, take exit 192 off Hwy 51/ Interstate 39. Follow Hwy 52 East (E. Stewart Ave.) to the Wausau downtown City Square.
Event headquarters will be located on the square the day of the event. Free parking is available nearby. Restaurants and restrooms are within walking distance of the festival grounds.
DOWNTOWN PARKING: Free parking all weekend in the Jefferson Street Ramp, McClellan Street Ramp, JC Penney (west mall) Ramp and the Sears (east mall) Ramp, which are located within 2 blocks from site. Click here for map.
HOTEL/RESTAURANT/LOCAL INFORMATION: If you are traveling to the area, please check out Wausau/Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors web site for general information, directions, hotels, motels, restaurants, event information, and more. www.wausaucvb.com
SPONSOR INFORMATION: Supporters that helped make this event possible are the City of Wausau, Wausau Events, Center for the Visual Arts, Downtown Grocery and Becker Communications. This event is financially supported by City of Wausau Room Tax Funding, Clyde F. Schlueter Foundation, the Community Arts Grant Program of the Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin with funds provided by the Wisconsin Arts Board, a state agency, the Community Foundation and B.A. & Esther Greenheck Foundation, Ministry Health Care and Wisconsin Public Service.
CONTACT INFORMATION: firstname.lastname@example.org