Chalkfest - July 12 & 13 2014
The CVA is once again assisting Chalkfest and artists to transform downtown Wausau with colorful pastel art drawings. This is the 11th year for this sidewalk art festival which is for artists of all ages and levels of ability to participate and for art enthusiasts to observe and enjoy.
Click here for registration form
Registration forms are due by 5pm on Wednesday, July 9th
If you plan on dropping your form off in person, the CVA recommends you do so between 1-5pm Tuesday-Friday
Click here for Chalkfest's Facebook page!
Wednesday, July 9, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Demonstration classes
- Learn techniques to use on your Chalkfest creation!
Saturday, July 12 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Check-in for participants will be from 8:00 - 12:00 p.m. on at the festival headquarters (not at the CVA). Organizers will be available to show you your assigned space and provide you with registration materials.
- Reserved spaces will be released to other artists at noon on Saturday, unless the committee is notified in advance to hold the space beyond that time.
Sunday, July 13, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Chalkfest reception & award ceremony begins at 4pm in the CVA Main Gallery.
- Refreshment will be provided to the participants during the reception.
CHILDREN'S CHALKFEST SCHEDULE:
Saturday, July 12, 10am-4pm
Sunday, July 13, 10am-4pm
- Kids 11 and under can explore their artistic talents.
- A $3 material fee includes a box of chalk.
- No registration required.
To participate and secure a space, fill out the registration form and mail it to Chalkfest, c/o The Center for the Visual Arts.
Participants are encouraged to pre-register to reserve a space by 5:00 p.m. on July 9, 2014.
• Box of 48 pastels
• One set of latex gloves
• Sponge for blending
Additional supplies will be on sale at the event in limited quantities.
SMALL (Approximate size is 4’x4’) Recommended for youth 14 years and under
MEDIUM (Approximate size range is 5’x 6’)
LARGE (Approximate size range is 5’- 6’x8’ - 9’) Largest sizes may contain one or more lines.
• Wear a hat and sun block to prevent sunburn.
• Knee pads are strongly recommended.
• Pastels will be provided in multi-colors so keep in mind if you are using a predominant color in your design you may need to purchase additional sticks in that color. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION:
- First time participants must be 12 years of age. Those 11 and under are encouraged to join in the Children’s Chalkfest area and must be supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Participants must stay within their assigned space to create their artwork, be it square, horizontal or vertical and move around without interfering with artist/space next to theirs. The whole space does not have to be used.
- Due to these pre-set spaces and increase in participation, we cannot guarantee co-neighbor placement requests.
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing: full nudes, advertising, business logos, or political statements will NOT be accepted.
- Chalkfest reserves the right to limit the number of people working on any space, with exception of those who have registered for shared spaces.
- No oil pastels allowed.
- Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the festival.
- Chalkfest, Wausau Events, and the CVA may use photos or reproductions of artworks for future advertising and media purposes.
IN CASE OF RAIN:
Clear plastic sheeting will be available, but distributed only under the direction of the committee on site. In case of severe weather, the festival will be cancelled. No refunds are available if event is cancelled.
PARK AND RIDE:
Saturday Event Shuttle Service
Park once and then ride the bus to ChalkFest, Balloon Rally, Big Bull Fall BBQ Rib Fest and Sidewalk Sales. For details go to wausauevents.org
If you are coming from out of town, take exit 192 off Hwy 51/ Interstate 39. Follow Hwy 52 East (E. Stewart Ave.) to the Wausau downtown City Square.
Event headquarters will be located on the square the day of the event. Free parking is available nearby. Restaurants and restrooms are within walking distance of the festival grounds.
Free parking all weekend in the Jefferson Street Ramp, McClellan Street Ramp, JC Penney (west mall) Ramp and the Sears (east mall) Ramp, which are located within 2 blocks from site. Click here for map.
If you are traveling to the area, please check out the following web sites for general information, directions, hotels, motels, restaurants, event information, and more.
• Wausau/Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors - www.wausaucvb.com
• City of Wausau - www.ci.wausau.wi.us
• Wausau Area Events - www.wausauevents.org
Marathon Park Campground is located off Stewart Avenue, close to downtown Wausau. There are 35 sites (most have electric), dumping station, showers, flush toilets, water, picnic area, concession area, and hiking trails. Call for cost. Reservations must be made directly to the Wausau/Marathon County Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Department at (715) 261-1550 or go to www.co.marathon.wi.us/infosite.asp?dep=25
Sponsors that helped make this event possible are City of Wausau, Wausau Events, Center for Visual Arts, Becker Communications, Inc. and Downtown Grocery.
This event is financially supported by City of Wausau Room Tax Funding, the Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin, Cylde F. Schlueter Foundation, Ministry Health Care and Wisconsin Public Service. This is a non-profit event; all proceeds go to support the ChalkFest event.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Chalkfest at firstname.lastname@example.org or the CVA at 715-842-4545.