Chalkfest - July 13-14, 2013
The CVA is once again assisting Chalkfest and artists to transform downtown Wausau with colorful pastel art drawings. This is the 10th year for this sidewalk art festival which is for artists of all ages and levels of ability to participate and for art enthusiasts to observe and enjoy.
Click here to 2013 Chalkfest registration form.
Click here to see Photo Gallery of ChalkFest 2011
Saturday, July 13 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Check-in for participants will be from 8:00 - 12:00 p.m. on at the festival headquarters (not at the CVA). Organizers will be available to show you your assigned space and provide you with registration materials.
- Reserved spaces will be released to other artists at noon on Saturday, unless the committee is notified in advance to hold the space beyond that time.
Sunday, July 14, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Chalkfest reception & award ceremony begins at 4pm in the CVA Main Gallery.
- Refreshment will be provided to the participants during the reception.
CHILDREN'S CHALKFEST SCHEDULE:
Saturday, July 13, 10am-4pm
Sunday, July 14, 10am-4pm
- Kids 11 and under can explore their artistic talents.
- A $3 material fee includes a box of chalk.
- No registration required.
To participate and secure a space, fill out the registration form and mail it to Chalkfest, c/o The Center for the Visual Arts.
Participants are encouraged to pre-register to reserve a space by 5:00 p.m. on July 10, 2013.
• Box of 48 pastels
• One set of latex gloves
• Sponge for blending
Additional supplies will be on sale at the event in limited quantities.
SMALL (Approximate size is 4’x4’) Recommended for youth 14 years and under
MEDIUM (Approximate size range is 5’x 6’)
LARGE (Approximate size range is 5’- 6’x8’ - 9’) Largest sizes may contain one or more lines.
• Wear a hat and sun block to prevent sunburn.
• Knee pads are strongly recommended.
• Pastels will be provided in multi-colors so keep in mind if you are using a predominant color in your design you may need to purchase additional sticks in that color. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION:
- First time participants must be 12 years of age. Those 11 and under are encouraged to join in the Children’s Chalkfest area and must be supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Participants must stay within their assigned space to create their artwork, be it square, horizontal or vertical and move around without interfering with artist/space next to theirs. The whole space does not have to be used.
- Due to these pre-set spaces and increase in participation, we cannot guarantee co-neighbor placement requests.
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing: full nudes, advertising, business logos, or political statements will NOT be accepted.
- Chalkfest reserves the right to limit the number of people working on any space, with exception of those who have registered for shared spaces.
- No oil pastels allowed.
- Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the festival.
- Chalkfest, Wausau Area Events, and the CVA may use photos or reproductions of artworks for future advertising and media purposes.
IN CASE OF RAIN:
Clear plastic sheeting will be available, but distributed only under the direction of the committee on site. In case of severe weather, the festival will be cancelled. No refunds are available if event is cancelled.
CVA Main Gallery Exhibition
Works in Wax - New Encaustic Painting
May 17 - July 14
This exhibit explores the art of encaustic painting. Using
heated wax with added color pigments,featured encaustic artists work
in the wax painting media to build vivid and captivating paintings. The
artists use this historical technique to create contemporary works
exploding with color and imagination.
Photo Encaustic 2-Day Workshop
Friday, July 12, 10am-5pm & Saturday, July 13, 10am-4pm
with Clare O'Neill, $280 + $30 material fee
CVA Loft Gallery Exhibition
7th Congressional Art Competition
"An Artistic Discovery"
May 17 - July 14
CVA CHALKFEST WORKSHOP:
Saturday, June 29, 1-2pm
with Mort McBain, $10
Open to ages 12 and up! Learn how to chalk your own design on a sidewalk square as a family, in pairs, or as an individual. All materials provided.
Balloon Rally & Glow
Witness the magic of hot air balloons. Wausau Downtown Airport.
Big Bull Falls BBQ Rib Fest
PARK AND RIDE:
Saturday Event Shuttle Service
Park once and then ride the bus to ChalkFest, Balloon Rally, Big Bull Fall BBQ Rib Fest and Sidewalk Sales. For details go to wausauareaevents.org.
If you are coming from out of town, take exit 192 off Hwy 51/ Interstate 39. Follow Hwy 52 East (E. Stewart Ave.) to the Wausau downtown City Square.
Event headquarters will be located on the square the day of the event. Free parking is available nearby. Restaurants and restrooms are within walking distance of the festival grounds.
Free parking all weekend in the Jefferson Street Ramp, McClellan Street Ramp, JC Penney (west mall) Ramp and the Sears (east mall) Ramp, which are located within 2 blocks from site. Click here for map.
If you are traveling to the area, please check out the following web sites for general information, directions, hotels, motels, restaurants, event information, and more.
• Wausau/Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors - www.wausaucvb.com
• City of Wausau - www.ci.wausau.wi.us
• Wausau Area Events - www.wausauareaevents.org
Marathon Park Campground is located off Stewart Avenue, close to downtown Wausau. There are 35 sites (most have electric), dumping station, showers, flush toilets, water, picnic area, concession area, and hiking trails. Call for cost. Reservations must be made directly to the Wausau/Marathon County Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Department at (715) 261-1550 or go to www.co.marathon.wi.us/infosite.asp?dep=25
Sponsors that helped make this event possible are City of Wausau, the Center for the Visual Arts, Wausau Events, Becker Communications, Inc., Jon Goertz Design and Downtown Grocery. Special thanks to Donald Frisque of Lightcatcher Photography for the use of his photos for marketing purposes.
This event is financially supported by City of Wausau Room Tax Funding and the Community Arts Grant Program of the Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin with funds provided by the Wisconsin Arts Board, a state agency, the Community Foundation and B.A. & Esther Greenheck Foundation. This is a non-profit event; all proceeds go to support the ChalkFest event.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Chalkfest at email@example.com or the CVA at 715-842-4545.